I had a recent sexual encounter and would like to

Q: I had a recent sexual encounter and would like to know if I am at risk for contracting an STD. I received a lap dance from a stripper in which she spat on my penis and proceeded to give me a handjob. I have read a bit about herpes transmission, but I am still unclear if saliva can transmit the virus or other STDs. Should I get tested, and if so, when?

Symptoms:  Mild genital irritation

It is possible that the herpes virus can be transmitted by oral route. Most of the affected individuals will have a harbouring oral infection in the form of sores which can be transferred to genitalia during oro genital contact. Saliva can be a sorce of viral transmission.

Other sexually transmitted diseases, almost of all can also be transmitted oro genitally. HIV, HBsAg, syphilis, warts, LGV,etc are a few names.
It is recommended that you consult a physician for an examination and get yourself screened for the STDs.
However, do not panic as the transmission rate of infection with such a history remains low.

Hope this helped.
Feel free to write back for further clarifications.

Patient: Thank you for your response. Just to be clear, there was no direct mouth to genital contact. She just used her saliva as a lubricant by spitting. Does that change anything?
Doctor: Hello,
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, as mentioned earlier, the chances of transmission is lesser in your case as there has not been a direct oro genital contact. However, since saliva can harbour an infection and it was an indirect contact, the chances cannot be ruled out. Hence, we recommend you to undergo the testing for STDs.
Hope this helped.
Patient: Thanks again. This is very helpful. One final question. What timeframe should I get tested? The encounter took place 2 days ago. As I understand it, some STDs like herpes take a while after infection to show up on tests. What would be the best strategy? To get tested immediately, and then come back in a few weeks?
Doctor: Hello,
Thanks for your valuable feedback.
There is a need to do a test for the STDs immediately. you may have to repeat a few tests later as well. Your treating doctor will be able to streamline them and advice you upon this based on the investigations available at your location.
Hope this helped.