I had a shingles shot not realizing that I had never had chicken pox.

Patient

Q: I had a shingles shot not realizing that I had never had chickenpox. I have been in contact with someone that has shingles. Can I get the illness?

Doctor

A:   Hello, Welcome to Ask The Doctor. We are here to help you.
Yes, you are at risk of getting Chicken pox. It's not necessary that you would get it but yes chances are there.
In such case, i would recommend you to just keep a watch on your symptoms like fever, any skin lesion eruptions.
Fever may come even before the skin lesions, so let your doctor know about your contact, if you get any fever.
There is no prophylactic medicine or vaccine warranted as this stage, as if you have contracted the infection, you would probably get that.
If you don't get any lesions or apparent illness in next 2-3 weeks, you can go ahead for Chicken Pox vaccination, to prevent the active disease in future.
I hope it helps you.
If you have any further query, please ask me.
Stay Healthy.