I had a small mole above my belly button that

Q: I had a small mole above my belly button that became itchy, raised and swollen removed last year. I had had this mole since birth. Now a very old scar (15+ yrs) from a similar mole in the same area is raised, red and swollen. What is going on?

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

It seems that you have a hypertrophic scar or a keloid. This occurs when there is overgrowth of the skin in the and the scar tissue. This is usually an abnormal response of the body to the healing.

You will need to see a Doctor to get steroids injected into the scar area. This should help reduce the swelling and the itching.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.