I had a surgical abortion 6 days ago I am experiencing cramps everyday.

Patient

Q: I had a surgical abortion 6 days ago. I am experiencing intense cramping every day, 2-3 times a day. Yesterday I took 1000 mg paracetamol and 400 mg ibuprofen, and that barely relieved the pain. It took 3-4 hrs for the pain to subside. It is like period cramping, but much, much worse. I am bleeding a little bit (I only bled a lot the first day, went through 3 packs of pads), and there are more clots coming out (last one was a size of a small grape). I don't have a fever. My surgeon told me that they did an ultrasound to check that everything was out, and they also put an IUD in. My question is; is it normal to be in this much pain? I am sitting here curled over my heating my bottle, and it hurts to stand up. It feels like I am wearing a belt around my waist with daggers on them. Should I see a doctor, or is this normal? It's been going on for 3-4 days now.

Symptoms:  Severe cramping, some blood clots.
Doctor

A:   Hi.
Thanks for your query and an elucidate history.
To recapitulate: history of surgical abortion 6 days ago - intense cramping 2 -3 times a day - no relief with medicines - it took 3 to 4 hours to subside - it i like period cramping but much more worst - more clots coming out - check ultrasound was already done - IUD is inserted - ** hurts to stand up - feels like wearing a belt around my waist with daggers on them -

Your questions are: is it normal to be in such a pain - and should you see a Doctor.
To answer your queries:
It is not normal to have such a pain.
Yes, you should see your Doctor.

Please give some additional information:
- Does the pain increase even on turning in bed? (you have mentioned- hurts to stand up)
- Any change in urinary or bowel habits?
- Any bloating, nausea, vomiting?
- Is there a rebound tenderness? That is pain increases on releasing the pressure put on the abdomen.

Please give this feedback for me to assist you further.

Patient: I have been experiencing loose stools today. When the pain is at the worst I am not able to eat and feel slightly nauseated, but I just think this is because of how painful it is. Pain is a bit relieved when I move or keep pressure on abdomen, but comes back when released, I especially feel it in my lower back when doing that.

The pain is not constant, it comes and goes throughout the day, and lasts for about 2-4 hrs each time.
Doctor: Thanks for your feedback.
In such a situation I would advise you the following:
X-ray of the abdomen in standing position when in pain.
Ultrasonography of the abdomen.
Clinical evaluation and examination by a General Surgeon and the Surgeon who did the Surgical abortion and have further tests as may be necessary to know the exact cause so that further treatment can be done.

I hope this answer helps you to get an early diagnosis and proper treatment.