Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I had a tubal ligation 17yrs ago.

I had a tubal ligation 17yrs ago.

Patient: I had a tubal ligation 17yrs ago my cycle suppose to come on the 18th of March could I be pregnant

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.Irregularities in menstrual cycles can occur due to many ca uses like lifestyle modifications, stress and strain, weight changes etc leading to gonadal hormonal imbalance, thyroid hormonal imbalance, prolactin level changes etc.As you underwent tubal ligation years back, the possibility of pregnancy is less.If you want to be sure, please go for urine pregnancy test once.If the test gives negative result, please do consult your doctor and get evaluated to find out the possible cause of delayed periods.By clinical examination and investigations like ultrasound, gonadal hormonal profile, thyroid hormonal profile, prolactin levels, hemoglobin and blood sugar levels estimation etc the possible cause of your problem can be identified and treated.Take care