I had an abortion a month and a week ago.

Q: I had an abortion a month and a week ago. Inhavent started bleeding and i dont want to get pregnant again. Can i start taking birth control? (The pill) Of so, when?

Thanks for the query to ATD for an opinion,

If your abortion was a month ago and a week, then ideally you should wait for your menses to return for another week and if they don't reoccur then you should plan a withdrawal bleeding with progesterones.
Once the bleeding starts within 5-7 days then from the day 2 of bleeding you should start on the low dose oral contraceptive pill pack . Till then you may practice barrier contraception if need be.

You can get the prescription for progesterone for withdrawal bleed form your physician but you should consider it only after another week as after abortion menses may get delayed simply because it takes time for hormones to return to their pre-pregnant state.

I hope have answered your query,
Wishing you good health,

Patient: Thanks. I'm unfortunately not in the position to go to a doctor for a prescription and am afraid i maybe pregnant again. I took a pregnancy test and it was negative but inguess i'm a bit paranoid since we've been using the pull out method. How can i tell if i'm pregnant again?
Doctor: Well, the best way to rule out pregnancy at present would be to get a serum beta hcg test from lab and if the levels of hcg are less than 5ng/dl then thats conclusive that you are not pregnant.