Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I had ankle surgery 9 days ago (lateral ligament

I had ankle surgery 9 days ago (lateral ligament

Patient: I had ankle surgery 9 days ago (lateral ligament reconstruction). Pain between 0-1 (without medication) by Monday with controlled swelling. Starting Tuesday, I developed progressively increasing sharp pains along incision. Called ortho on Wednesday but he is on vacation. His PA stated likely from splint irritation and to follow as scheduled next week. Developed low grade fevers 99-100 and intermittent pins and needles sensations in foot starting Thursday. Today with difficulty controlling swelling. Attempted to call office today ; never received a return call. I cannot remove splint to see wound. The wound is covered by gauze, then with a plaster stirrup splint, then with rolled gauze, and finally an ACE; there is no seepage through dressings, but lateral ankle site feels more moist then medial side. Should I go to ER or wait until Monday for scheduled followup?

Symptoms: Increased pain, low grade fevers, swelling, possible wound drainage

Doctor: Hi.Thanks for your query.Noted your history of being 9 days post-op lateral ligament reconstruction of the ankle and chronological development of problems viz. minimal pain and controlled swelling on Monday, sharp pain along incision – called PA of Orthopedic Surgeon – low grade fever – intermittent pins and needles in the foot – difficulty controlling swellings – unable to remove the splint – lateral part of the ankle feeling moist.All these symptoms are suggestive of infection and hence you should report to the ER at once for clinical evaluation, tests of blood and may be removal of all the materials you mentioned to actually see the wound and give you proper antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medicines.I hope this answer helps you.Feel free to discuss further.Regards.