I had been officially diagnosed with clinical depression las

Patient : I had been officially diagnosed with clinical depression last fall. I was told I could try finding happiness by myself if I didn't want to take pills for depression. I accepted the challenge but am now faced with almost a worse reaction. I have found happiness in making others happy. I do whatever possible to make everyone else happy and often forget about my own happiness. I have began to adopt the feelings of others. When they feel happy I get happy(hence why I try to make them happy). When they tell me they are sad or mad I adopt those feelings as well. I can't rid myself of it and I can't help it. How do I stop caring about people more than they could ever care about me and how can I find happiness just for myself without having to feel it thru someone else?
Symptoms:  Heart ache, anger or happiness, adoration for friends