I had in unprotected sex with my boyfriend and he did not pull out.

Patient

Q: I had in unprotected sex with my boyfriend and he did not pull out. Same night I went to Walgreens and took the take action pill right away. Next day I did start to feel the side effects, nausea. Couple days later I got my period and now I'm on my forth day and I'm barely bleeding. My normal period is usually like this by the forth day it stops. But still I feel a bit nauseous. Is that normal? Can I still get pregnant?

Doctor

Thanks for the query to ATD for an opinion,
The fact that you got your withdrawal bleed after taking the take action pill indicates that you are not pregnant at all and the previous uterine endometrium is being shed. The fourth day of bleeding is possible as this bleeding has been forced due to progesterone withdrawal initiated by the pill and is likely to be heavy and prolonged. The nausea and even possibly headache may be caused due to side effect of progesterone pill and the remedy remains that you should keep yourself well hydrated through out the day. The progesterone may cause bloating,constipation, decreased appetite, nausea, vomiting , headache and mild abdominal cramps, all have to be managed symptomatically and the best way is to keep oneself well hydrated.
So you can rest assured that you are not pregnant and your next menses should only start by 13th May and not before that.
I hope i have answered your query in detail,
Wishing you goo health,