Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I had mono about a month ago, all the symptoms

I had mono about a month ago, all the symptoms

Patient: I had mono about a month ago, all the syptoms went away, and about a week ago my,sore throat began, then,last saturday i got body aches, and fatigue along with sore throat, then that night i had cold sweats the entire night woke up,had a fever of 102 sore throat stuffy nose feel of malais all,day took a nap woke up and and temp,spiked back,up,to,102. The next day every thing was a ton worse sleept on and off from 11-the next day still feel the same still,have body aches, sores in throat, smell foot smeel whenni breath through,nose, extremly,thick saliva, swollen neck. What is this?

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.comI understand your concern.Since all the symptoms from mono cle ared up, it does not seem like the symptoms are related to your past infection.You probably developed an upper respiratory tract infection ( URTI ). This will need an antibiotic therapy besides saline or betadine gargling 2-3 times daily. The saline water gargling will reduce the inflammation in the throat, thereby reducing the throat pain.I will suggest Cap. Augmentin 625 mg twice daily for 7-10 days, depending on the severity of your symptoms. Thick saliva indicates a bacterial infection. Most such infections start as a viral, but quickly progresses to a superadded bacterial infection. I will also advise an antihistaminic Tab. Levocetirizine to be taken once daily at bedtime for 3 days to reduce the wheezing and the nasal congestion.Please consult your Physician and confirm the diagnosis before starting any arbitrary treatment.Hope this was helpful,Regards