I had my big toes toenail removed yesterday

Patient

Q: I had my big toes toenail removed yesterday and had a lot of pain with the doctors supplied bandage. I took it off and have nearly instant relief but putting a bandage on hurts again and there is white fluid coming from the wounded nail bed. What should I do? I have put in precription antibiotic drops as prescribed and it is not infected as my doctor said yesterday. Thank you!

Doctor

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

White fluid coming out of the nail bed is probably pus. Since you are already on antibiotics, it is nothing to be worried about.

Continue the full dose of antibiotics to prevent resistance of organisms to the drugs. If the organisms become resistant, they will need to be treated with stronger antibiotics.

I hope this helps you. All the best.