I had my first ultrasound yesterday and was told to

Q: I had my first ultrasound yesterday and was told to prepare for a miscarriage. The sack shows Im 7+1 weeks but they could not see a yoke sack or heartbeat and my hcg levels or low. Could it just be to early to see the pole and hear a heartbeat? Should I hold out before I have a dnc? Feeling lost!

It is very unfortunate that you have had a miscarriage. Generally at 7 weeks and above the gestational period, when a sac is visualised and the pregnancy is dated, we have to see a fetal pole with a cardiac activity. At least, a fetal pole should have been there. To support the miscarriage, your beta hCG level also is very low and hence it will be taken as an abortion and you definitely need a D and C. There is no point in prolonging the pregnancy any further.
You can always try again, start yourself on folic acid, get a couple genetic workup done and rule out all other factors of this episode.
Wish you an early second conception.

Hope this helped.