Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I had my menstrual cycle and it ended and 2-3

I had my menstrual cycle and it ended and 2-3

Patient: I had my menstrual cycle and it ended and 2-3 days I started getting light vaginal bleeding for almost a week after my period ended I am 21 I am sexually active I read on the internet that it could possibly be cervical cancer ..I also have lower abdominal pain and lower back pain

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.Vaginal bleeding after periods does not mean it is cervical cancer. Bleeding soon aft er intercourse, foul smelling discharge from vagina and weight loss can be symptoms of cervix cancer. In your case you seem to have intermenstrual bleeding. We have to rule out causes like hormonal imbalance, polycystic ovaries, estrogen secreting ovarian tumors, fibroids, polyps, etc.Kindly consult a gynecologist for an examination and investigations like blood and urine tests as well as an ultrasound of abdomen and pelvis to rule out the above causes.The doctor will treat you accordingly depending on the diagnosis.Hope this helped.Regards