Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I had protected anal sex at a bathhouse yesterday with

I had protected anal sex at a bathhouse yesterday with

Patient: I had protected anal sex at a bathhouse yesterday with someone who I do not know the HIV status of. It was a one time encounter and the condom seemed to be fine and applied correctly, although there was Precum beforehand. Am I qualified for post exposure prophylactics or should I stop worrying?

Doctor: Thank you for writing to us.Get the prophylaxis if you are not sure of the status. And avoid sex without knowing the person well. The highest chance of getting HIV is by having anal intercourse. This is why you need to be extra careful. Wishing you good health.Hope this helps you.