Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I had protected oral sex with an escort I am concerned about STD please help thank you

I had protected oral sex with an escort I am concerned about STD please help thank you

Patient: I have HPV (genital)and had protected oral sex with an escort should I be concerned please help; the warts have been gone for a while but I just noticed one today 2 days after the incident is it stress that brought it out. I am concerned about that and other STD thank you

Symptoms: N/a

Doctor: Thank you for your question.I note that you indicated you have been diagnosed with HPV (genital warts) in the past. It is important to note that while it is treatable, it is not curable and once contracted, you will always be at risk of transmitting it.When having protected oral sex‎, the main risk of transmission is HPV ans herpes. Since you are infected with HPV, the real risk is that of herpes.The risk is low, but not zero. No tests currently exist to accurately detect an infection and the only positive way to identify a herpes outbreak is by visual diagnosis and sometimes a viral swab of the lesion.Outbreaks can appear anytime from days to years after contracting the virus.If you see a new lesion, please see your doctor for an accurate visual diagnosis.

Patient: Ok thank you very much for your feedback I really appreciate it; I will set up an appointment right away to have it seen. So in your opinion should I receive a blood test for anything else, and if so how long should I wait.

Doctor: Based on the details of the encounter provided, additional testing would only be required if the condom broke. If the condom did not break, additional testing would only be required If there were encounters since your last STD test that put you at risk.