Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I had safe sex with my partner in the beginning

I had safe sex with my partner in the beginning

Patient: I had safe sex with my partner in the beginning of february and got my period february and march. however i skipped april and in may my period is brown and when i wipe it is red. my period tends to be irregualar at times. and have no other signs of pregnancy. please help

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query to ATD.It is for sure that you are not pregnant due to your sexual encounter in februar y as you had your regular menses in feb and then in march. The present delayed episide of scanty menses could possibly be due to stress induced hormonal imbalances provided you have not been sexually active else pregnancy would have to be ruled out. There is a high possibility that you may be PCOS and hence you should visit your physician and get a hormonal profile and ultrasound pelvis done to check for polycystic ovaries. Another possible cause could be hypothyroidism or hyperprolactinemia which both can be ruled out during hormonal profile.You may get yourself evaluated soon.Regards