I had sex about 6 weeks ago and it was

Patient

Q: I had sex about 6 weeks ago and it was unprotected. I had my period although it was light. For the past few nights, I've had upper abdominal pain and sometimes moves lower into my abdomen. Could I be pregnant and are there any home ways to tell if I am

Doctor

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

Pregnancy is caused as a result of sexual intercourse only if it occurs within one's so called "fertile period". The fertile period of a woman is determined by analysing her menstrual cycle with an ovulation calculator or fertility chart. Normally, the menstrual cycle is a 28-day cycle. During the 14th day after a period, the ovum is released. This process is called ovulation and the days 12 to 16 days after a period are said to be a woman’s most fertile period.
You have already had your periods. Even then, if you are still in doubt, please get a home pregnancy test. A pregnancy test attempts to determine whether a woman is pregnant. Markers that indicate pregnancy are found in urine and blood, and pregnancy tests require sampling one of these substances. Most chemical tests for pregnancy look for the presence of the beta subunit of hCG, or human chorionic gonadotropin, in the blood or urine. hCG can be detected in urine or blood after implantation, which occurs six to twelve days after fertilization.
Abdominal pain may have many different causes. Stomach problems may be causing this moving abdominal pain and this must be brought into the notice of a doctor. Please visit your family physician or gynecologist for remedy specific to the diagnosis.

Hope this helps you.