I had sex on Sunday night/very early Monday morning.

Q: I had sex on Sunday night/very early Monday morning. We used a condom however after intercouse we realised the condom had broke at the tip. I am due to come on my period today however I am still waiting on it. I have some cramping on/off and some light brownish red discharge. Should I go tomorrow to get a morning after pill? I am unsure of what to do as i was close to my period starting when the condom broke

A:   Hi,

Thanks for the query at ATD.

I have gone through your history and understand your concerns.

In my opinion as you are in your less fertile days(3 days before your menses),you should not take any i-pill to prevent pregnancy.

These cramping and spotting could be due to starting of your menses.

As you are expecting your period today itself, you should wait and watch for proper menses for next 6 days.

If you will not resume your menses kindly get your home pregnancy test to rule out pregnancy after 7 days of your missed period date.

Hope found useful, feel free to ask more information.

Good luck.

Patient: I was slightly worried the spotting could be due to implantation bleeding, do you think this is possible?
Doctor: Hi,

It could not be due to implantation bleeding.
Implantation occurs atleast 15 days after sexual intercourse.

Hope found useful.
Good luck.
Patient: Hello. I decided to order the Ella one tablet and I took this yesterday, two days after my period was late. However I did take a test just before I took Ella and it was negative. I was wondering if you still think Ella would be effective if I had already ovulated? And also if I took a pregnancy test a week after my missed period, would it give me an accurate reading for this month? Thank you
Doctor: Hi,
Ella is an emergency contraceptive pill and can only be taken after unprotected sex within 72 hrs.to prevent pregnancy.
In your case there is no use of Ella in preventing pregnancy.
You should repeat your home urine pregnancy test after 10 days of your missed period date.
Hope found useful.
Good luck.
Patient: The pill I took said it can be taken 120 hours (5 days) after unprotected sex? The reason why I'm unsure if it would be useful is because I took it at the end of my cycle
Doctor: Hi,
It's efficacy is not affected by menses.
But near menses there is less use of emergency pill.
Hope found useful.
Good luck.
Patient: I have actually started bleeding quite heavily and have my usual period cramps. Do you think this is my period or bleeding from the tablet? I only took the tablet last night and I have been bleeding since this morning
Doctor: Hi,
It could be your menses.
Heavy bleeding could be due to side effects of the pills.
Hope found useful.
Good luck.