Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I had sinus surgery and septoplasty a week ago and

I had sinus surgery and septoplasty a week ago and

Patient: I had sinus surgery and septoplasty a week ago and for the past 2 days, I have been coughing up a lot of mucus and I can feel my chest getting tight. Can I take mucinex or should I do something else? I’m currently on antibiotics and anti-inflammatories.

Symptoms: Tight chest and coughing up mucus.
Had septoplasty and sinus surgery a week ago.

Doctor: Hi, read your history of sinus and septum surgery a week ago.started coughing 2 days ago and have lots of mucus and alre ady are under antibiotic and anti-inflammatory medicines cover.you can certainly take Mucinex and take steam inhalations.If there is an evidence of infection still carrying on, you may need an additional antibiotic or a change of it.It is better to consult your operating Surgeon for clinical evaluation and management .He would definitely like to review his own surgery and see that no complications occur.Hope this helps you.