I had unprotected sex for 3 months before having implant, possible miscarriage??

Patient

Q: Hi

I had my son in january this year, me and my partner had sex unprotected until 4th april this year...i then had the implanon in, at the end of may i had a period that was really heavy, during my period i hadbad cramps and when i went to the toilet there was something on the tissue paper, it was about 2-3 cm long quite thick that looked like skin, i was a bit worried but didnt really think anything of it, now im worried that i may have had a miscarriage and that i was possibly pregnant before i had the implant and it caused me to miscarry...can you shed any light on this for me please?

Many Thanks
Lyndsey

Doctor

A:   Implanon is generally inserted after ascertaining that you are not pregnant either by ensuring you are on a period or by doing a pregnancy test. The chances of failure of the implant are less than 2-3 in a 1000 women. However you do seem to be having a miscarriage.
I would suggest that you contact your obstetric health care provider right away. He or she will tell you to come in to the office or go to the emergency room.
A miscarriage is confirmed by performing a pelvic exam and an ultrasound test. If the miscarriage is complete and the uterus is devoid of all fetal parts, then no further treatment is usually required. Occasionally, there are some products or fetal membranes remaining in the uterus, so a dilation and curettage (D&C) procedure is performed. During this procedure, the mouth of the womb or the cervix is dilated and any remaining tissue is gently removed from the uterus.
As there is a chance of a serious compromise of your health if you bleed uninterrupted I suggest you contact your health care provider immediately.