I had unprotected sex maybe with an ejaculation

Patient

Q: Hello. So my question is a little complicated. I had unprotected sex a little over two weeks ago with no known ejaculation. My partner was very sure he pulled out in time but to be on the safe side, I took the emergency contraception called Ella three days later and got some birth control pills. Yesterday I took a pregnancy test and it showed up as negative. Now some people have told me two weeks after sex isn't enough time to take a pregnancy test, and since I don't remember the date of my last period, I'm a little stuck. I've also felt some cramping but I don't know if it's my period coming or not. So my question is, did I take my pregnancy test too early to get an accurate result? Or is the negative result an accurate result? Thank you so much for your time.

Doctor

Thanks for the query,

Firstly if you had taken an emergency contraceptive pill ELLA after 3 days of unprotected intercourse and its been two weeks since then, it should be already 10 days since the episode and you should have experienced a withdrawal bleed which you haven't yet. So it's better to rule out pregnancy at this stage, not by urine pregnancy test which is going to give false negative results, but with blood serum beta hCG test. This is a more sensitive test and can rule out pregnancy after a week of unprotected intercourse depending on the hCG levels. Hence suggested that you should meet your physician and undertake the test to rule out pregnancy first.