Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I had unprotected sex over 3 weeks ago He did

I had unprotected sex over 3 weeks ago He did

Patient: I had unprotected sex over 3 weeks ago. He did not ejaculate, but I took plan b just in case. Since then I’ve been a nervous reck about being pregnant. I’ve had 2 negative urine pregnancy test (one at which was at the docs), but my period is a week late and I’ve had on and off cramping and tender breasts once in awhile. Should I still be nervous?

Symptoms: Cramping, somewhat tender breasts

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.As you took emergency pill after intercourse and as two pre gnancy test kits gave negative results, the possibility of pregnancy is less.Little bit irregularity in periods can occur due to many causes.Breast tenderness, abdominal cramps etc symptoms can be seen in premenstrual phase also.If you want to be more sure, please go for blood test for pregnancy or ultrasound to rule out the possibility of pregnancy, as these tests can give more accurate results compared with urine pregnancy test.If blood test or ultrasound gives negative result, you can wait for one more week and possibly you may get periods by that time as you are having premenstrual symptoms.Take care.