I had unprotected sex today My last period started on 17th.

Patient

Q: I had unprotected sex today. My last period started on 17 th and ended on 22nd. Do I have to take the emergency pill?

Doctor

Thanks for the query to ATD for an opinion,

As you are on the 10 day of your cycle, ideally you are in your safe period when ovulation would not have occurred, considering you ovulate by day 14 in a 28-30 days cycle. But there may be a chance of early ovulation, so it is better to take an emergency contraceptive pill like PLAN-B, just to be on a safer side.

I hope i have answered your query,
Wishing you safe sexual practices,

Patient: Is it safe to take Plan B once a month? I feel it messes my cycle all the time that's why I avoid it.
Doctor: Hello,
you may take it once in a month as its an emergency contraceptive and aim is to avoid pregnancy. However you may undertake an ovulation kit test, which if negative even as on today, then you need not take it as it would ensure that you have not ovulated . The sperms can remain alive for 72 hrs in the vaginal tract and one needs to cover up that time, hence was the advise. It does delay your next 1-2 menses by 7-10 days and its a known side effect.
Patient: What is an ovulation kit? Where can I get the kit from? If I take the ovulation test today and it's negative, I don't need to take the pill? What if I ovulate tomorrow or day after as the sperm can last up to 72 hours? I'm looking for any other option I can take to avoid the pill and I only have time up to today in the evening to think about it. Please advise.
Doctor: Hence i suggested straight away to take the ecp, as definitely there is a possibility and ovulation method is not full proof.
Patient: When in my cycle can I not get pregnant then?
What is an ovulation kit anyway? And how effective is it?
Doctor: Your safe period in a 28-30 day cycle is from day2-day 12.
ovulation kit measures the LH SURGE which when comes positive indicates that in next 36 hrs the ovulation shall occur.