I have 2 herniated discs, levels L4-5 I think, along

Q: I have 2 herniated discs, levels L4-5 I think, along with sciatica. Today the pain has changed from sharp to a severe dull pressure. I haven't lost control of my bladder or bowels, but the pressure feels like I need to have a bowel movement. It's very similar to the feeling I had when I gave birth to my son. Is this normal to have this type of pain, or is it an emergency? I don't have insurance so I don't want to go to the ER and end up with an unnecessary bill. Thank you.

Symptoms:  Lower back pain and pressure.

A:   Hi.
Thanks for your query.

Since you know your diagnosis of prolapsed intervertebral discs with symptomatic sciatica, you also know what further may happen.
The incidence at the present, feeling of pressure like to have a need to pass a BM- like you had that feeling when you gave birth to your son., may not be really significant.
If at all there is any other symptoms you may visit ER.

I hope this answers your query well.