I have a 10 year old daughter with autism who started her menstrual cycle a year ago.

Patient

Q: I have a 10 year old daughter with autism who started her menstral cycle a year ago. She suffers terribly with PMS and I'm looking for a recommendation of a birth control pill to try to regulate her cycle and hormones and ease the PMS symptoms. At this time I'm not interested in trying depovera. Do you have any suggestions or recommendations.

Doctor

Thanks for the query,

Ideally for her age, the best contraceptive shall be an implant like Implanon if depot provera is not your choice. The Implanon shall stop the menses completely and there shall be no ovulation as well, even though in earlier 2 years the cycles are anovulatory. This shall help in the premenstrual syndrome as well. If the implant is not suited then she can be placed on low dose oral contraceptive pills regularly and monthly for 2-3 years. This shall improve the regularity of the cycles, the flow and the PMS symptoms as well.

I hope have answered your query in detail,