I have a bicuspid aortic valve that has a noticeable

Patient

Q: I have a bicuspid aortic valve that has a noticeable murmur that has not been repaired and had coarctation of aorta surgery as a teenager. Lately when I lay down to sleep I have a tense feeling in my chest and it feels like a hard beating. It feels better if I sit up. I also tend to feel more tired in general. Are these symptoms that can relate to my condition? My blood pressure is a bit high averaging 125/90. I have an appointment with my cardiologist, but it's a few weeks away. This will be my first appointment in 5 years I am 31 male. I'm unsure if what I'm feeling is more of anxiety or related to my condition.

Doctor

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

Feeling palpitations or being able to feel your heart beating is known as palpitations. This is possible because of the heart valve replacement that you have had. If you have had metal valves put in, you can have sounds produced when blood flows across the valve.

Thus, this is what you are likely to have. But, if you get chest pain, please see a Doctor. Hope this helps you.