I have a cough, and I don't know what it is?

Patient

Q: My roommate got sick a week ago and she went to a walk-in and they told her she has bronchitis. Days after my roommate had gone to the doctor and received her antibiotics I started getting an itchy dry throat and have developed a minor dry cough (constant through out the day). When I get sick I don't usually cough even when I've had bronchitis it's been in my chest and I cough only to remove phlegm. I am having trouble sleeping at night because I feel as if I'm drowning so I continuously cough in order to clear my throat but nothing comes up. My mouth is producing a lot of saliva which usually occurs if I've had to cough up a particularly large amount of mucus, except there is no mucus and it is happening all the time. What could this be?

Symptoms:  Dry cough with no phlegm, head pains, irritated eyes (I thought it was allergies but regular allergy medication not helping). Slight itch/burn in the throat but not unbearable.
Doctor