I have a cough, most likely a cold

Patient

Q: I have a cough, most likely a cold. I coughed hard, a little blood came up

Doctor

Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.com

In acute pharyngitis cases or URTI cases, a little blood can be coughed out along with sputum.
This indicates there is an infection which needs antibiotic treatment.
I will advise you to consult your physician and start yourself on Cap. Augmentin 625 mg twice daily for a week. This antibiotic works particularly well for URTIs and is a combination of amoxicillin and clavulanic acid.

For your cough, you should take Syrup. Ascoril 2 teaspoons twice daily for 3-5 days till the cough subsides.
If there is constant bleeding, please get your sputum evaluated and proceed accordingly.

Hope this was helpful,