Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have a cough, most likely a cold

I have a cough, most likely a cold

Patient: I have a cough, most likely a cold. I coughed hard, a little blood came up

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.comI understand your concern.In acute pharyngitis cases or URTI c ases, a little blood can be coughed out along with sputum.This indicates there is an infection which needs antibiotic treatment.I will advise you to consult your physician and start yourself on Cap. Augmentin 625 mg twice daily for a week. This antibiotic works particularly well for URTIs and is a combination of amoxicillin and clavulanic acid.For your cough, you should take Syrup. Ascoril 2 teaspoons twice daily for 3-5 days till the cough subsides.If there is constant bleeding, please get your sputum evaluated and proceed accordingly.Hope this was helpful,Regards