Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have a fasting glucose level of 83 which I

I have a fasting glucose level of 83 which I

Patient: I have a fasting glucose level of 83 which I read is normal, but an A1c level of 5.9 . Am I considered prediabetic?

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.comI understand your concern.HbA1C levels indicate the average of sugar values over the past 3 months. So a normal FBS can’t completely rule out Diabetes if HBA1C is high. Value between 5.7- 6.5 is considered to be pre-diabetic. However, before being alarmed, I advise you to repeat the test because some studies say that the values don’t reflect the exact value (being either a percentage higher or lower). So a repeat test will be helpful.If you’re in the early stages of the disease, small changes in lifestyle can make a big difference and even reverse diabetic results. Losing a few pounds or starting an exercise program can move you into the non-diabetic camp. So do not worry. Kindly visit your physician who can suggest a healthy diet for you and also advise on other lifestyle modifications.Hope this was helpful.Regards.