I have a few problems with me at the moment

Patient

Q: I have a few problems with me at the moment in time. I've had the cold for roughly 4 weeks now and haven't seemed to get rid of it, it usually keeps getting worse, I cannot breathe through my nose at all which has cause me a lot of problems. I also struggle to breathe by walking so far.. I'm a very healthy and athletic person and I've never used to be out of breathe walking or running until I've got this cold? Also another problem I've just got tonsillitis again this is the 7th time this year it's came and it's getting sorer and more inflamed every time it comes back.

Doctor

A:   Hi.
Thanks for your query.

Read and understood your history: cold for roughly 4 weeks - keeps getting worse - cannot breathe through nose - struggle to breathe by walking in spite of being an athlete - tonsillitis again this is the 7th time this year .

All these things suggest me the following things :
- Chronic tonsillitis- more than three attack in a year is an indication of tonsillectomy , if not well controlled by the medical management.
- Cold for 4 weeks and difficulty in nasal breathing indicates upper respiratory infection with edema formation in the nose and a proper treatment alone can solve the problems. There may be associated lower respiratory tract problem too.

I would advise in such a situation to have a consultation with an ENT examination as you have nasal block and he can do the best of diagnosis, investigations and treatment.

I hope this answer helps you.