I have a five year old, nursed for two years

Patient: I have a five year old, nursed for two years. Milk never fully dried up until I started taking birth control six months ago. Started leaking milk today. Did I never really stop lactating on the pill or is it more likely I became pregnant on the pill?

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.Lactation can continue for more than 6 months in nursing mothers.There is a possibility that you never stopped lactating even when on pills.Chances of a new pregnancy is also possible.Kindly consult a gynecologist to rule out prolonged cause of lactation like hypothalamopitutary axis dysfunction, prolactinomas or prolactin secreting tumors, thyroid disorders, side effects of medications like antidepressants, excessive breast stimulation.Even birth control pills can cause lactation.Kindly consult the doctor and rule out the above mentioned causes and a pregnancy as well. You may require hormonal supplements or medications to treat the specific condition in case a new cause is detected. Blood, urine and liver function tests may be done.Hope this helped.Regards