Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have a girlfriend who is 25 weeks pregnant, up

I have a girlfriend who is 25 weeks pregnant, up

Patient: I have a girlfriend who is 25 weeks pregnant, up until last week she would occasionally smoke weed, they drug test here. My question is will it be in her baby’s system when the baby is born?

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.Weed or marijuana consumed in first two trimesters may not be detected in meconium fluid after delivery of baby.But if pregnant women consume weed, it can lead to side effects like low birth weight, lower IQ, behavioral problems etc in babies.So better to stop the drug immediately.And regular antenatal checkups and ultrasound examinations are advisedto detect any abnormality at the earliest.Take care