Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have a hole at the bottom of my spine

I have a hole at the bottom of my spine

Patient: I have a hole at the bottom of my spine and frequently get painful lumps next to it any idea what this could be

Doctor: Hi.Thanks for your query albeit short and specific.The commonest cause of such a painful lump at the bottom of the spine is a Pilonidal Cyst. If it ruptured it is called a Pilonidal sinus.The only sure-shot treatment is excision (total removal).I would advise you to consult a General Surgeon for clinical evaluation, physical examination and investigations to get a plan for excision and cure. Please discuss with your treating Surgeon about the chance and percentage of recurrence as this condition is known to.I hope this answers your query and helps in decision-making