Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have a large red swollen area on my hip/buttocks

I have a large red swollen area on my hip/buttocks

Patient: I have a large red swollen area on my hip/buttocks hard and red – hot to touch and painful

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.comI understand your concern.I will need more information on the s welling: where exactly is the site? Whether it arises for the skin or it is from the hip area externally. You also need to mention whether you had Injury to the affected area before this. Kindly check for the exact site and hopefully on providing more information and giving him the required information be is better.If the swelling is from outside it is most likely to be a bacterial infection whereas if it is from inside it needs to be evaluated to check for joint involvement.Kindly reply and I will get back to you,Regards.

Patient: Outside – no injury. Upper left buttocks- how do I send photo ?

Doctor: Yes a photo will definitely help forming the diagnosis.
Kindly confirm the support team and send it to them.
They will forward me the picture.
Regards.