I have a large red swollen area on my hip/buttocks


Q: I have a large red swollen area on my hip/buttocks hard and red - hot to touch and painful


A:   Hello,
Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.com
I understand your concern.
I will need more information on the swelling: where exactly is the site? Whether it arises for the skin or it is from the hip area externally. You also need to mention whether you had Injury to the affected area before this. Kindly check for the exact site and hopefully on providing more information and giving him the required information be is better.

If the swelling is from outside it is most likely to be a bacterial infection whereas if it is from inside it needs to be evaluated to check for joint involvement.

Kindly reply and I will get back to you,


Comments / Follow Ups

Patient: Outside - no injury. Upper left buttocks- how do I send photo ?
Doctor: Yes a photo will definitely help forming the diagnosis.
Kindly confirm the support team and send it to them.
They will forward me the picture.


Related Q&A

Q: I have an issue when I rub and massage my elbow I get a tingling sensation in my pinky and ring finger

Q: Hi i m 25 years old n me n my husband had unprotected sex on the last day of my menstrual cycle ie on 25th Jan n I ha...

Q: Hi i have a slightly low thyroid and iam on medication. i recently wanted to take a amino acid blend, which includes ...

Q: Hi, i live in guyana , about two year ago i found out i have hrdorcephalus and at that time i was 20 years old, howev...

Q: Hi. This is more of a psychologist question that I would like help with. I have this friend that I'm really obsesse...


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon