Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have a lump on the side of the chest. What could it be?

I have a lump on the side of the chest. What could it be?

Patient: I have a lump directly below my armpit on left side ribs about the 2 or 3rd rib from the bottom almost straight across feom my belly button about the size of a small marble. The lump itself doesn’t really hurt but it or around it does cause some pain and tenderness if I lay on my left side or touch it or stretch the right way. It feels luke it has grown about double in size in the 2 months I have had it. it isnt rock hard but isnt that soft either. It has stayed in the same place for 2 months. Im freaking out worrying it may be cancer…help

Symptoms: Tenderness minor pain in area when touched. No fever or nausea or any other symptoms that I notice. Cant see the lump. you can only feel it.

Doctor: Thank you for your question. In order to determine whether this lump is cancer or not, the only way will be to biopsy i t and have it tested for cancerous cells. Other causes of this type of lump could include a cyst, which is a fluid filled mass beneath the skin. These are usually benign, and can go away on their own, however, if they don’t they will have to be surgically removed. This mass could also be a lipoma. A lipoma is a non-cancerous tumor composed of fat. These can grown in size, and be become painful. In orde to determine the exact cause of this mass, we recommend that you have a dermatologist examine this lump. It may be the cause that it will need to be surgically excised to be sent for testing to determine if the cells that it is composed of are malignant or benign.Thank you for choosing Askthedoctor.com