I have a pain above my calf

Patient : I have a pain above my calf and below the back of my knee whenever I bend my leg (ie sitting with Indian style) for about a month now. It is now starting to hurt more when I raise my leg up with my knee bent. It also hurts when I straighten my leg back out. It is like a dull pain or a giant bruise. There is no redness or swelling or bruises visible. I also got a Doppler ultrasound 2 weeks ago and it showed negative for blood clot. What does this sound like? Also what is my next step ?
Doctor :   Hello Thank you for posting your query on ATD. I have gone through your query and understand your concern. It is lik ely to be probably tendinitis of hamstrings. Treatment of it is rest to leg and analgesic such as ibuprofen for pain relief. Exercises can be stopped for few weeks. You can get your vitamin D level as vitamin D deficiency is an important cause of unexplained pain. If vitamin D is found low you can take vitamin D3 supplements. You can further investigate it by MRI of the region if it does not reduce by this. Hope your query got answered. Wishing you a good health. Take care.

Related Q&A

Q: My name is Carlton Jackson. My date of birth is April 3, 1955. In the spring of 1973 I hyperextended my left knee w...

Q: I ama 68 year old female who has been very active. Have not been exercising during last month due to cataract surger...

Q: My daughter was playing volleyball and dove/slide in for the ball. She said it hurt her right knee. But she was outsi...

Q: My knee is severely swollen (size of a grapefruit). I had an xray which was normal. It hurts a ton on the inside of m...

Q: When i went up the stairs i got knee pain as if its twisting on the inside. INtense pain for at least 5 minutes cant ...


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon