Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have a pain through my right forearm that isn’t

I have a pain through my right forearm that isn’t

Patient: I have a pain through my right forearm that isn’t constant but when it comes, it causes my hand to go limp. Any ideas on what it could be?

Doctor: HelloWelcome to Ask The Doctor. We are here to help you.Following are the possibilities in your case:1.Prolapsed Intervertebral Cervical Disc Compression.2. Carpel Tunnel SyndromeI would advise you to get following:1. X-ray Cervical spine- To rule out any cervical disc prolapse causing nerve compression2. Serum Calcium and Vitamin D3 levels- To rule out any deficiency of calcium and vitamin D3. ESR, CRP, Rheumatoid factor- to see if there is any inflammation or rheumatoid arthritis.4. Nerve Conduction Velocity Testing- To see for any neuropathy particularly carpel tunnel syndrome.5. Thyroid profile- Hypothyroidism is a frequent cause of carpel tunnel syndrome.For Pain I advise would advise you to take a combination of pain killer and muscle relaxant containing Diclofenac and Thiocolchicoside and to do hot fomentation of the affected area. You should also apply Diclofenac ointment locally and get physiotherapy done particularly Ultrasonic heat massage.If the compression is found you would be treated with a combination of Pregabalin and Methylcobalamine.If Carpel Tunnel syndrome is diagnosed on investigations, you would initially be treated with Intraarticular Steroid Injection. If not relieved by this, surgery would be performed.Share my opinion with your doctor, before you act upon it.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy.