Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have a painful right leg,I have bruising on my

I have a painful right leg,I have bruising on my

Patient: I have a painful right leg,I have bruising on my calf and now behind my knee which I cannot explain of any nocks etc

Doctor: HiThank you for the question,A bruise or “contusion” appears on the skin when it has suffered trauma like a cut or a blow to the area. The injury causes tiny blood vessels called capillaries to burst, and the blood gets trapped below the skin’s surface. Unexplained bruises that appear on the shin or knee may come from bumping the area on a doorframe, bed frame, post, or chair without noticing. Other common causes of bruises include:-sports injuries-car accidents-blows (such as someone hitting you or being hit by a ball)-medication side effects. Bruises may be treated at home using the following options:-Use an ice pack to reduce swelling. Wrap it in cloth to avoid putting the pack directly on your bruised skin. Leave the ice on your bruise for 15 minutes every hour.-Rest the area of bruising.-If practical, raise the bruised area above your heart to keep blood from settling into the bruised tissue.See a Physician if you have unexplained bruising, bruises that are not painful, bruises that reappear in the same area without injury, or any black bruises on your legs. I hope this will help you. Get well soon.