I have a persistent cough and sore throat

Q: I have a persistent cough and sore throat, My respiratory system seems to have some type of infection. One of my main symptoms is over production I've mucus. When I have these coughing fits its hard to stop. Only when it feels like some type of phlem comes out can I stop coughing long enough to catch my breath and I have a dull ache in my chest...diagnosis?? How should I treat this?

Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.com

You seem to be suffering from a lower respiratory tract infection. You need to get yourself physically examined by a physician and start on an antibiotic therapy. For sore throat, betadine/ saline water gargling 3-4 times daily will help in reducing the irritation and pain in the throat. It will also help in draining out the mucus. A good choice antibiotic would be Cefixime 200 mg twice daily for 7-10 days depending on the severity. Additionally, cough syrup such as Ascoril can be taken fo reducing the coughing and draining out the trapped secretions. It can be taken 2 teaspoons twice daily.

Please get yourself examined and start the treatment. You will feel better once you start taking appropriate medicines.

Hope this was helpful,