I have a persistent cough and sore throat

Patient: I have a persistent cough and sore throat, My respiratory system seems to have some type of infection. One of my main symptoms is over production I’ve mucus. When I have these coughing fits its hard to stop. Only when it feels like some type of phlem comes out can I stop coughing long enough to catch my breath and I have a dull ache in my chest…diagnosis?? How should I treat this?

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.comI understand your concern.You have been having persistent sore throat and coughing and there is a lot of phlegm. This is suggestive of a lower respiratory tract infection. You need to get yourself examined by your physician and start on appropriate antibiotic. For sore throat, you should start betadine/ saline water gargling, which will soothe your throat and reduce the inflammation. It will further help in clearing out the mucus from the throat. A good choice antibiotic would be Tab. Cefixime 200 mg twice daily for 7-10 days depending on the severity.To reduce your coughing, Syrup Ascoril can be taken 2 teaspoons daily for 3 days. This will also help in reducing the trapped secretions in the chest.Please get yourself examined before starting any treatment.Hope this was helpful,Regards.