Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have a recurrent vaginal candidiasis Each time it occurs

I have a recurrent vaginal candidiasis Each time it occurs

Patient: I have a recurrent vaginal candidiasis. Each time it occurs my gyne gives me the same medication. Metrolag, gynodaktarin, and some other oral meds. Is there anything I could take to avoid the reoccurence of the infection? Something that is a long term one…but not an antibiotic? .

Doctor: Hello,Welcome to ATD. Thank you for the query.Vaginal yeast infection is thought to be recurrent when you have h ad four or more symptomatic infections, unrelated to antibiotic use, within 1 year.If you have a recurrent vaginal yeast infection, your doctor must do a culture to confirm that yeast is present. You should also get tested for certain conditions that could be making you more vulnerable to yeast overgrowth, such as diabetes.The recommended initial treatment for recurrent vaginal yeast infections includes vaginal medicines for 7 to 14 days or a single dose of oral fluconazole, with a second dose repeated 3 days and a third dose 7 days later. Initial treatment is then followed by at least 6 months of maintenance therapy, which could be oral or vaginal medicines.For yeast infections, purported alternative cures include:Yogurt & probioticsBoric acidGarlicTea tree oilDouching (especially with vinegar)The vagina is home to numerous beneficial microbes, which keep pathogenic (disease-causing) microbes, including Candida, in check. The yeasts grow out of control when something — such as antibiotics or hormones — disrupts that delicate microbial balance.Because of this fact, one of the most common natural remedies for yeast infections has long involved restoring the vagina’s population of friendly bacteria, especially Lactobacillus acidophilus, by using yogurt or probiotic pills or suppositories.Hope this helps. Take care.