Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have a sharp pain in my back about a

I have a sharp pain in my back about a

Patient: I have a sharp pain in my back about a half inch from the base of my bra line. It happens anytime I try to take a breath. IT started when I was sitting in the floor cleaning. I’m only 16 and I’ve never smoked or been on any form of drug.

Doctor: HelloWelcome to Ask The Doctor.You seem to be suffering from Muscular back pain. I would have appreciated if you h ave given me the duration of your ailments. If this is acute, this is probably a muscular pain only.But if has been going for long, then Prolapsed Intervertebral Disc Compression and Ankylosing Spondylitis needs to be considered.For muscular pain I would advise you to take a combination of pain killer and muscle relaxant containing Diclofenac and Thiocolchicoside. You should do hot fomentation of the affected area and apply Diclofenac ointment locally.If you don’t get any relief even after 5 days of this treatment, then you would require following investigations:1. X-ray Cervical spine2. X-ray LS spine3. Serum Calcium and Vitamin D3 levels4. ESR, CRP, Rheumatoid factor.5. HLA B276. X-ray Both Hip with both Sacro-iliac joints.These investigations will help to diagnose your issues particularly Ankylosing Spondylitis and Disc Compression.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy