Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have a sharp stabbing pain in my left hand

I have a sharp stabbing pain in my left hand

Patient: I have a sharp stabbing pain in my left hand side just underneath my rib cage that goes around to my back aswell

Doctor: Hi.The commonest causes of sharp stabbing pain under the right rib cage going into the back are:Gall bladder infec tion and / or stone.Liver abscess.Right kidney stone with impaction.Costochondritis.Pancreatitis.Simple clinical actual examination, ultrasonography and relevant blood and urine tests help a lot to get a diagnosis.The treatment will be dependent on the cause as for every cause the treatment and further investigations are different.I hope this answers your query.