I have a small lump over my left rib cage,


Q: I have a small lump over my left rib cage, and I just noticed another one on my left pectoral muscle. The lumps don't hurt and it doesn't seem like they've grown at all. They are hard lumps and I'm wondering what they could be. Do you know what these could be? Are they swollen lymph nodes or tumors? I'm a healthy white male, age 35, and I've never had any health problems in the past.


A:   Hello.

Welcome to Ask The Doctor. Thanks for trusting us for your health care concerns.
I have read your query in detail and I understand your concern.

Any round ball like swelling in this area of the chest can be any of the following:
1. Lipoma
2. Abscess/Boil
3. Bone Cyst.

You should get examined by your doctor. Clinical examination usually tells the diagnosis in such cases.
Lipoma is harmless and nothing needs to be done for it. It requires removal only if it is causing any pressure symptoms, otherwise since it is just a collection of fatty tissue, it is harmless.

You should get examined by your doctor.
He will examine the lump, and if feels it is not Lipoma with take an excision biopsy out of it, and send it for histopathological examination.
It can also be a bone cyst. Now, it will depend on its type that it requires treatment by excision or not.
An abscess or boil require treatment with broad spectrum antibiotics like Amoxycillin. However, an abscess of a boil won't be persisting for so long. I just mentioned it as one of the possibility but in your case scenario, it is least likely.

Share my opinion with your doctor.
I hope it helps.
Stay Healthy

Related Q&A

Q: Early this week on Sunday morning my fiancé started to feel ill, she had some pains in her belly and hips and ...

Q: I have projecting halitosis that people can smell several feet away. It gets worse when I eat. I was thinking it was ...

Q: Lesion on hard palate 1/3 area of right side. Initially developed painful infection Jan 1 and have since dome 2 antib...

Q: Hi, Some background. I had some slight discoloration on my penis head and asked my doctor about it at a physical an...

Q: Should my wife be concerned about architectural distortion in her left breast


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon