I have a small vein that sticks out of my

Patient : I have a small vein that sticks out of my calf. As I dried off getting out of the shower, I scratched/popped it. Blood squirted out in a stream about 2-3 feet away. Do I need to go to the ER?
Doctor :   Thank you for writing to us. You should never touch a vein or anything protruding out of the body especially if it is pulsatile or expansile. I believe that you have a varicose vein and you need to see a Doctor to get it operated on. This will help you with cleaning it up and also prevent future occurrence. The surgery will attempt to close the valves and prevent further blood from accumulating. This should help you with recovery. All the best.