I have a solid rock hard lump with smaller lumps

Patient

Q: I have a solid rock hard lump with smaller lumps on top of it almost twice the size of a baseball on my right side around my ribcage area it doesn't move it just grew bigger. It is slightly painful and uncomfortable as it affects my ribcage it also has continuous burning sensations running thru it. Can you please tell me what this can be?

Doctor

A:   Hello.
Welcome to Ask The Doctor. Thanks for trusting us for your health care concerns.

I have read your query in detail and I understand your concern.
Any round ball like swelling that is movable in this area can be Lipoma or cyst, Abscess/Boil and it can be a lymph node.
You should get examined by your doctor. Clinical examination usually tells the diagnosis in such cases.
Lipoma is harmless and nothing needs to be done for it. It requires removal only if it is causing any pressure symptoms, otherwise since it is just a collection of fatty tissue, it is harmless.
You should get examined by your doctor.
He will examine the lump, and if feels it is not Lipoma with take an excision biopsy out of it, and send it for histopathological examination.
An abscess or boil require treatment with broad spectrum antibiotics like Amoxycillin. However, an abscess of a boil won't be persisting for so long. I just mentioned it as one of the possibility but in your case scenario, it is least likely.
If your doctor feels that this can be a lymph node, he will order a Chest X-Ray and FNAC of the swelling.
Share my opinion with your doctor.

I hope it helps.
Stay Healthy