Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have a sudden sore throat at the back and

I have a sudden sore throat at the back and

Patient: I have a sudden sore throat at the back and top of my throat. My phlegm is a bit thick and yellow ish too. Plus Im a smoker for 7 years. Should I be worried?

I have a sudden sore throat...-1

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.Looks like you have developed a sudden bacterial or viral pharyngitis and oral inflamma tion.Kindly do warm saline gargles 3 to 4 times a day, avoid very cold or very hot food items and liquids, steam inhalations may help. Drink plenty of water and you may take an anti-inflammatory medicine for pain relief. See an ENT specialist for an examination and antibiotics till complete cure. Maintain oral hygiene. Avoid smoking, alcohol and other spirits.Hope this helped.Regards