Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have a tremendous urgency to urinate

I have a tremendous urgency to urinate

Patient: I feel an intense urgency to urinate but I cant. ive been taking naproxen sodium for about a week for sciatica. could that be the reason??

Symptoms: Very intense urgency to urinate. a very small trickle is all im able to achieve, with no relief at all. no fever

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.comI understand your concern.With a previous history of kidney in fection, it is better you consult your Physician and get a CT KUB done to find out why you have not been able to urinate.They can catheterize you if you are in a lot of pain.Naproxen sodium will not cause such difficulties in urination, so it is unrelated.They need to rule out kidney stones, UTI, cystitis, e.t.c, all of which can cause similar symptoms. If it is due to severe UTI, a course of Tab. Cotrimoxazole ( TMP-SMX ) twice daily for 7-10 days will be helpful in resolving the infection. Also, increase your water intake to a minimum of 3-4 liters per day.Hope this was helpful,Regards.