Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have a urethral stent in place

I have a urethral stent in place

Patient: I have a urethral stent in place because I have kidney problems. But I was told I have a pneumococca infection in my kidney. How come I can’t find any information on it? I would like to know how I got that type of infection and what kind of damage can it do?

Doctor: Thank you for writing to us.A pneumococcal infection is one involving Streptococcus pneumoniae. This is an organism that causes throat and meningeal infection as well.I think that when your Doctor said your kidneys are infected, he meant that urinary tract is infected by Pneumococcus. This can be diagnosed by a simple urine exam. Talk to a Doctor and confirm this. Once diagnosed, Pneumococcus is treated with Penicillin group of antibiotics.I hope this helps you. All the best.