I have a urethral stent in place

Q: I have a urethral stent in place because I have kidney problems. But I was told I have a pneumococca infection in my kidney. How come I can't find any information on it? I would like to know how I got that type of infection and what kind of damage can it do?

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

A pneumococcal infection is one involving Streptococcus pneumoniae. This is an organism that causes throat and meningeal infection as well.

I think that when your Doctor said your kidneys are infected, he meant that urinary tract is infected by Pneumococcus. This can be diagnosed by a simple urine exam. Talk to a Doctor and confirm this. Once diagnosed, Pneumococcus is treated with Penicillin group of antibiotics.

I hope this helps you. All the best.