I have a UTI and was prescripted with sulfamethoxazole I’ve

Patient: I have a UTI and was prescripted with sulfamethoxazole. I’ve been taking it for 4 days and the pain hasn’t gone away. I’m 16… I can barely sit at my desk or be in class this is very distracting. I started bleeding also but I think that’s my period because this is the time I get it. Sharp pain in my vagina it’s so painful when I use the bathroom I usually stay in there for an hour and cry from the pain. I use a heating pad to sleep. Can this be a UTI the pain hasnt lightened up at all.. Thank you so much doctor.

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query to ATD for an opinion,The typical pain while urination depicts a UTI, yes but sulpham ethoxazole should not be the first choice anymore for treatment. Ideally the urine should be cultured and sensitivity to the causative organism( likely E.COLI) should be firmly established before starting an antibiotic. You should meet your physician again and consider better antibiotics for treatment like NORFLOXACIN + TINIDAZOLE. This combination can take care of both gm positive and negatives along with anaerobes and hence have a wider coverage. This has to be taken for a week along with plenty of fluids to flush the infection sooner.You need to visit your physician to discuss the options and for the prescription.I hope I have answered your query in detail,Wishing you good health,Regards